Here’s a simple list of the last few projects that I’ve worked on and enjoyed:
Dew VR Skate
An amazing project that started not as a bried from the client, but rather we pitched them on some of the in-house demos with the Oculus Rift we were making at the time. From concept, R&D, and testing to completion was approximately 8 weeks, and I was responsible for all the software needed to view the experience in the Oculus Rift DK2.
Behind the scenes video here:
With a client who was willing to give back to the community, I was also able to open source the VR Skate Player, which you can find here:
During the production of the Dew VR Skate experience, Mashable approached me to create some branded content for Intel 2-1 tablets. The project’s timeline was aggressive to begin with, but with the added VR work, it was almost impossible. I spent 3 nights and 1 Saturday working on Rack City with my very talented co-worker Jonathan Kim, who helped give the visuals the pop they needed.
Rack City works by grabbing your current location, scraping OpenStreetMaps for the raw visual data, including roads, 3D buildings, and json information, and rocking that data to the SoundCloud song of your choosing. I used WebGL with ThreeJS, Google Cloud Services to handle the inevitable spike from Mashable traffic, and PHP for scraping for the data I needed.
Story about us, with video, here:
Visit the experience here:
And it’s fully open sourced, with some of the worst code imaginable as mentioned in the readme :), located here:
Snapshots with Santa
Fun holiday Android app I made for Firstborn last holiday season. We worked with Kohl’s to install 1500 green screens nationwide, to give shoppers a chance to create a holiday card with their children. Users would download the app, take a photo of their child/family in front of the screen, and then customize the image with different themed backgrounds, stickers, and text. I used my own fork of a popular shader library for android and chroma-keyed the green out, in real time on certain devices when available. In the end users could share their card via the internet or print and mail a card via a partnership with ShutterFly. Was a great project to help wrap my head around OpenGL ES2 and vertex and fragment shaders, skills I would continue to use later on.
App is still available for download here:
When I started at mcgarrybowen’s innovation lab, we were looking for a way announce our new team to the company. I designed some initial sketches in Processing based on the 2D logos our creatives designed. I worked with those designs to develop 3D animations through the use of Arduino sensors. The animations were responsive to changes in the environment including when people walked through the hallway.
Additionally I took my Processing experiments, and put a version together for the web with ThreeJS, WebGL, and CoffeeScript. As a final experiment, I rebuilt the logo in Blender and brought it into a simple gaming environment with Unity3D and C#. Check out the write up on our initial findings here.
TransiTap was mainly an experiment in my ability to rapidly prototype our application ideas. In order to move forward quickly with our experiments, I wanted to work with a more lean team and optimize our process. A designer and I sat down on a Monday morning, discussed the basic idea of an application meant to wake you up/alert you when you near a destination on public transportation, and got to work.
Conception to Play Store release was 4 weeks, with many iterations in design and UX along the way. As an added bonus, a partner of ours over at Google comped me a ticket to Google I/O for our efforts. It was a great learning experience, and we shot a fun video about our process here.
Smack My Pidge Up
An experiment I worked on a year ago led to my first nomination for a Webby Award in the Interactive category. It was for a fun Kinect-based game we dubbed “Smack My Pidge Up”. Four weeks before the Webbys, I was given a unique opportunity to “make whatever you want”. I jumped into Eclipse and started sketching some ideas up with Processing and the OpenNI libraries that came out shortly after the release of the Kinect. Within a week we had some great demos and decided that the typical New York disdain for pigeons would be a great simple and fun concept. The open bar during the opening night of Internet Week proved to inspire some spectacular high scores. You can check out the fun making-of video we put together here.
While PhotoHopping was being built I was also experimenting with a few other ideas for Sony. TweetSinger was started as a development test that I was working on to turn Tweets into full-fledged songs. I used a backend service written in Java to take input text, pass it to a Text-To-Speech service, and then push the results into a C module that turned our speech into song. I was also responsible with handling the relationship with our partners at Songify.
The Xperia Studio
Finally, I got my start towards becoming a truly language agnostic developer working directly with my GCD on the Xperia Studio. I got the chance to work with an amazingly intelligent Astrophysicist to create a Google Skymap-like app that used data from the Hubble, as well as creating a way to record 360 degree videos from Sony phones out in the deserts of Moab, Utah. All projects can be seen here, where I played a big role in the development of ideas, and both Android-based projects I wrote can be seen here and here.